Google

Carolina Wild

Carolina is truly God's Country. From the mountains to the sea the two states offer outdoor activities and views that rival anywhere on Earth. Carolina Wild is dedicated to sharing and preserving the natural treasures and history of the area.

  • Photo Galleries
  • Tuesday, November 15, 2005

    Cane Man


    This is a poem I wrote about my father. He was a local craftsman who was well known in our area for making unique yet beautiful walking sticks.
    Many called him...
    the cane man.
    Cane Man
    Ducking through the laurel caverns
    to the bank of the creek
    where it has to go but we don't
    only fighting our way to see whats there
    bends and turns past gothic root castles
    grabbing at me I grab one and swing across
    across the babbling always going somewhere
    shifting the mica shining sand
    but always here he's always here
    I smell the plants that smell like skunk
    In the air I smell his sweat in the air
    a country sweat that holds specks of bark
    and sawdust to dark arms that pull his saw
    through the laurels that will be canes
    it's a cool sweat as arm hairs brush my cheek
    when he lifts me to his shoulders
    I hold onto his forehead
    he can still tote the saw and drag the sticks
    ducking through the laurel caverns
    Dad... he's always here
    searching for the perfect walking stick
    along the bank of the creek
    it maybe growing gnarled and knotty
    we never found it...
    he knows where it is now
    august 2000

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home